You’re busy. I get it. So, I’m sharing the 27 apps that make my world (and my iPhone) a better place. These little babies keep me organized as I juggle family and work, while making sure I have the personal inspiration to approach it all with grace and gratitude.
Got an app that’s doing that for you? Be sure to share it in the comment section below so we can all conquer the world together. MOMS UNITE!
Organizing Yourself & Your Family
5. Whitepages (iPhone & Android) FREE – Let’s face it, my contact list is a disorganized disaster and even if I have your phone and email securely tucked away, it is highly unlikely I have your physical address when it comes time to mail your Christmas card. So, I use the White Pages app to figure out where to send you some love.
4. Turboscan (iPhone & Android) $2.99 – You know those millions of documents that camps, doctors, banks and schools now require you to scan and email to them? I do that simply by snapping a photo with my Turboscan app, which allows me to add multiple pages (in color or black and white) and then immediately turns them into a pdf. I can then save it to my phone or email directly to myself or whoever needs it from me. TIME SAVER app and a MUST HAVE.
3. Paprika (iPhone & Android) $4.99 – I love to cook and am always looking up new recipes online. I immediately download and store them into Paprika so I have them next time. The app recognizes the appropriate categories – from ingredients to directions and even allows you to attach an image. You can classify recipes into any category you’d like to create. It is the best recipe tracking app I have ever used and it KEEPS ME COOKING when I can’t figure out what’s for dinner.
2. Dropbox (iPhone & Android) FREE – If you don’t use dropbox, you must. Dropbox allows you to create folders and share them with others so you can easily and securely share documents with teachers, schools, your husband or work colleagues. You can invite different people to different sharing folders. So, you can share one folder with your husband for important docs and another with your sister and mom full of family pics. Yes, you can even share a folder with multiple people if you like! I use it to share documents with colleagues as well.
1. Evernote (iPhone & Android) FREE – This is the number one app I recommend. It’s like PINTEREST ON CRACK. I use it to organize everything from my grocery shopping and to do lists to work files. You can keep images, websites and notes all in one spot. And, you instantly and automatically have access to your most recent changes and additions across all your devices. So, I don’t worry whether my phone or my tablet ends up in my purse, I’ve got it all.
Seriously, this is a power tool, if you want a little more guidance on how to set it up and use it, just click here and send me a note and I’ll send you some extra love.
Keeping Them & You Entertained
4. Kindle (iPhone & Android) FREE – I don’t have a kindle device because I can use the app on iPad and my iPhone (just click here to get the Kindle App for any device even desktop) . Recently I’ve noticed that anytime I buy a book from amazon (I always buy a hard copy), I get the kindle version for free now (it prompts you after checkout). Then I read a couple of pages wherever I am sitting and waiting for my people. So, why not use Kindle? And, if you just want to test the waters, you can enjoy Kindle UNLIMITED for 30 days free (just click here).
3. Redbox (iPhone & Android) FREE – If I can rent a video for $1.20 rather than $5.99, I do. The Redbox app allows me to find the video I want at the location I want and pay for it, all on my phone. Then, I just roll up to that Redbox, swipe my card and get on with life. This app also is perfect for long car rides when the kiddos need a new DVD (or 5 of them) in the back seat. When you’re done with one, just drop it off at any Redbox, pick up another and keep traveling.
2. Showtimes (iPhone & Android) FREE – I don’t often make it to a movie, but I find myself looking at this app every Friday to figure out my weekend plans. It shows you all movie theaters around you and, at each one, the movie listings and showtimes for today and subsequent days. So, no matter where you are, home or traveling, you can always locate a good flick near you.
1. Opentable (iPhone & Android) FREE – I like to go out to dinner with my husband ALONE. But even if you like to take the kids with you, opentable prompts you to designated the number in your party and the time you’d like to eat, and then it shows you a listing of options near your or at a designated location that you’ve selected. Then, it lets you make a reservation so you don’t have to wait in line. BLISS.
4. Podcasts (It’s already on your phone) FREE – I have had the podcast app on my phone forever (because it comes pre-installed), but I never listened to a single podcast until this past year. Boy, do I wish I had done so earlier! Whether I’m in the car, doing dishes, folding laundry, or just chillin’, I learn and am entertained by these fabulous women. Here are my top 3 favorite podcasts that deliver inspiration and tools every day. Just open your podcast app, hit the search button and plug these in.
- Inspired to Action – Inspiration for Mother with Kat Lee
- Mom Talk Radio with Maria Bailey
- Keeping It Personal with Teri Johnson
3. Pimp Your Screen (iPhone) $2.99 – If you’re into ACCESSORIZING your phone or tablet (or your life), you need pimp your screen. It delivers different kinds of beautiful backgrounds to keep you inspired. You look at your phone a million times a day, why not add a little bling and switch it up when you need it!
1. First 5 Devotionals (iPhone & Android) FREE – Wake up each morning to gorgeous music and a moment with God. Delivered by the women at Proverbs 31, First 5 makes sure you “exchange whispers with God before shouts with the world.” My favorite way to start the day and keep me showing up for my people.
Family Travel & Fun
5. YELP (iPhone & Android) FREE – Because I never know what is around me when I travel. And, by travel, I mean going outside the 2 mile radius from my house. YELP locates the closest _______ (fill in the blank with whatever you need), gives reviews, sometimes menus, and most importantly directions by syncing with your map app.
4. Waze (iPhone & Android) FREE – Speaking of directions. Waze is the ultimate map guide, navigating you to avoid traffic jams and get you on your way. It’s a top rated navigation app and lives up to it.
3. Skyscanner (iPhone & Android) FREE – Planning to fly somewhere? Skyscanner delivers a list of the cheapest options across all airlines. It is way better than the other regular channels for booking air travel in terms of presenting all options in an easy-to-see way and finding your lowest cost options to travel.
1. Homeaway (iPhone & Android) FREE – While a hotel does sometimes, a true vacation spot is often a home rental for our family. We use VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) and this is the VRBO app, which allows me to easily search for a much-needed retreat on the go.
3. Map My Walk (iPhone & Android) FREE – Whether you walk or run, Map My Walk is the best way to keep track of your route! It logs your mileage, announcing every mile you log as inspiration and also reports your average time per mile (sometimes I don’t like that part). And, it connects to your music so you can choose the playlist, artist, or album that will keep you moving.
2. 7 Minute Workout (iPhone & Android) FREE – Earlier this year, I had the awesome opportunity to work out for a few days with Chris Jordan at Johnson and Johnson’s Human Performance Institute. Chris designed this app, which incorporates a basic 7 minute workout you can do in a hotel room or your living room (I do it 3x for a simple 21 minute workout), and also more advanced and challenging workouts. It is simply brilliant. Use it.
1. Mind Body Connect (iPhone & Android) FREE – My yoga connection, but much more. It’s very likely your yoga, Pilates or gym studio allows you to book classes with this app. It is easy to use and you can add multiple studios to your list of favorites so you can easily access and compare class offerings for the day or week, book your classes, pay for them, add them to your calendar, and then just show up! Namaste.
5. Starbucks (iPhone & Android) FREE – Coffee is a basic life necessity in my book. And, the Starbucks App goes right along with it. Add gift cards and automatically reload to ensure you can always pay with a phone swipe at check out. Sign up for a rewards account and enjoy all kinds of free goodies each week, from drinks to music, apps and games for your kids. Cheers!
4. Target Cartwheel (iPhone & Android) FREE – I love my Target Red Card and their Cartwheel app goes perfectly with it for any budget conscious mom. Skim their deals and add those you will use to your personalized barcode. Then just check out by swiping the barcard. Presto. Cash in your wallet. And, if you connect your Red card to your kid’s school account, cash for your school. Win-Win.
2. Curbi (iPhone) FREE App + $6.99 a month for service – Curbi is an app that allows you to monitor what your kids are doing on their devices, through your own phone.
My 8 year old got an iPad mini this summer for achieving his swim team goals. (yes, we are those people) But, as parents who have been known to enforce a month with no TV (it is glorious to see the improvement in their attitude when their minds aren’t being sucked out by a black box), we knew we needed to be able to set limits and enforce them ourselves if necessary.
I put the Curbi app on my phone and added it to his device. I am able to monitor websites he can visit, times he can be on and even implement a time out from my own phone. And, you can add multiple devices and manage them all with the touch of a button. It seems to be parenting genius, but it is not without a few quirks and I’m still working them out. It has been the best thing I can find out there so far. Got a better one? Let us know by commenting below!
1. Amazon (iPhone & Android) FREE – I started as an amazon prime member because it saves me a lot of time. Instead of running to the store with kids in tow for certain things (I do anything to avoid TORTURE), I just order them off amazon from my phone and have it shipped to me in 2 days or less for free.
BUT, since becoming a member, I have discovered that this is ONLY 1 of 26 Amazon Prime secrets that instantly save us TIME and MONEY. That’s right, MONEY. Even with an annual fee, as an Amazon Prime member you will save so much more than that fee (which now is less monthly than Netflix). Click here to read all the Amazon Prime secrets. And, here to sign up for a 30-Day Free trial of Amazon Prime. Amazon rules.
P.S. Since writing this post I have fallen in LOVE with 2 additional apps that I HAVE TO SHARE.
FITBIT (iTunes and Android). I’m new to the whole Fitbit scene, but Fitbit Alta alerts me when I need to move and even when I have a text. It syncs to my Mind Body Connect App so when I book a class yoga or Pilates class it automatically knows to track the calories burned. Smart Fitbit.
Audible (iTunes and Android). Audible lets you read when you are on the go by reading your favorite books to you. That means, you get to listen to books while you are doing ALL THE STUFF, like driving kiddos to their one million places. And, if you eventually want to sit down and pick up reading where you left off listening, it has thousands of books that do that too. You can set up an Audible account that comes with two free books and also a 30-Day FREE trial (click here to create an account for the freebies). Then download the app, sign in with those credentials, and start READLISTENING.