I started blogging on Huffington Post almost four years ago. Arianna Huffington keynoted a conference I attended during which she selflessly gave everyone her personal email address. Well, I wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity to send her a little thank you note for her inspiring talk, including a link to one of the first posts I ever wrote as a guest on someone else’s blog. She replied, almost immediately, and invited me to host my own blog on Huff Po.
I thought I had hit gold. I mean, who doesn’t want to blog for Huffington Post?
But, truth be told, my Huffington Post blog gathered few followers over the next three and half years, no matter what I did to try to get my message out to more readers.
About 10 months ago, I realized that while I had written so much on Huffington Post in addition to guest posting a number of other places like MSNBC’s Know Your Value column, I was pining away for a single spot to call my own where my people could find find me and my words; and where we could connect, reflect and overcome the cold, hard, wonderful and beautiful truths of our lives.
So, I started Everyday Victories. And for 9 months, I averaged around 700 page views.
Now, those page views were a lot more than I had ever gotten over on the Huffington Post. (Except for this one post which went completely viral when it landed on the Huff Po Parents Facebook page and hundreds of people who never met me decided I was the most horrible woman to walk the earth and feared for my own children.)
700 views in a month was good, but I wanted to reach a lot more women.
Because, blogging is a hugely powerful and also insanely intimate thing. For me, it is the ability to crawl into a best friend’s living room, snuggle up across the couch with a warm cup of coffee or a large class of wine, and discuss ALL THE THINGS that are delivered on the doorstep of our hearts and our lives. It is sacred.
So, I decided to make a some changes. I took one month to tweak and implement four powerful changes. And, then, I relaunched myself and watched as more and more visitors dropped by my little piece of the web. By the end of the first full month with these 4 steps in full swing, my page views had grown to 25,000. (Update: As of the end of June, I’m now up to 35,000!)
Yo, I grew my readership by 3,471% in a single month. That’s what I’m saying.
The part you have been patiently waiting for – here’s what I did.
4 Steps To Grow Your Blog Traffic In Just 1 Month
#1. I joined Pinterest. Oh my, are you shaking your head in disbelief? Um, yeah. I had heard of the Pinterest thing. But, I thought it was just about pretty pictures, scrapbooking, budgeting and DIY. And, let’s be clear here, I cannot scrapbook, budget or DIY. I am bad at all of those things.
It turns out Pinterest is really about sharing and discovering great content, and I had some of that already. Of my total traffic, 63% now comes from Pinterest.
Here are the Pinterest fundamentals I focused on:
- I created a “Best of [insert your blog name]” board that I pin ALL of my own posts to and nothing else.
- I create 10-20 other boards that are themed around the topics and categories I blog about, with each board description including several top Pinterest keywords simply based on the categories Pinterest itself shows you when you start searching.
- Although, I am not even sure yet whether the number of followers really impacts my blog traffic, I grew my followers to over 1,000 in just a few weeks by incorporating Pinterest keywords into my profile. Check it out here (be sure to follow!): https://www.pinterest.com/thekaragorski/
- I joined Pinterest group boards. This was frustrating actually at least in the beginning (for more on that, read here). But, I remedied the situation by creating my own unique method to finding and joining fantastic Pinterest group boards – a method that has sent my ability to do so viral and my blog traffic continuing to grow. I’ve created a step-by-step guide for you to use this method too! Click here to download your free copy of “A Simple Guide To Master Pinterest Group Boards.”
- I discovered BoardBooster. BoardBooster allows me to pin almost 100 pins daily without doing anything on my end or taking any of my time. I have heard a lot of people talk about ViralTag, Tailwind and other programs, but I have experienced tons of success with BoardBooster and started with it for FREE. (Click here to discover BoardBooster and begin to use it completely free!)
#2. I Linked Up. Yes, I started joining Link Parties! To be honest, I do not understand very well how link parties work and I do not have the time to spend investigating and researching them. Because, children and a full-time part-time job with my husband at his landscaping company.
So, I outsourced this very reasonably to a wonderful friend who does. Her work is a beautiful gift to this world because she helps connect us as women. You can find her here, and find out all of the information about link parties, her pricing and services, and even sign right up for them by clicking here – just tell her I sent you!
While I have gotten a lot of traffic from these link parties and their gracious hosts, the best part has been that I have gotten to know so many wonderful other bloggers who also are connecting us all.
Ya’ll, bloggers are just amazing women. I heart us all.
#3. I Made Over My Mornings. Because, how do we even get all the stuff done with all of our people and their needs plus blogs? It nears impossibility. I know for 100% certainty that whatever you do, you have about 500 full time jobs. This means, we wake up every single day completely overwhelmed even before our feet hit the floor.
So, I made over my mornings and now I wake up prepared, with a plan and pretty much at peace knowing where I am going today and all the next tomorrows while still doing all the stuff for my people and a blog.
I did it by taking a 14-day online course, complete with a nifty workbook that is not too daunting and a 3 minute daily video called – Make Over Your Mornings. With simple tools that you can immediately implement like setting a consistent bedtime and so much more, it is some of the best $17.99 I have spent.
My family agrees.
#4. I Fell In Love With Ruth Soukup. I mean, honestly, what’s not to love. In a world where there is a lot of NOISE about blogging and it can be super duper confusing as you are overwhelmed by all the millions of possible things you COULD DO to increase traffic to your blog, Ruth will tell you what you should NOT do, what you should do, and the exact order that it all should be done.
Do not listen to anyone else.
See what Ruth has to say over at the Elite Blog Academy and get her handbook and guide delivered tomorrow with free shipping by clicking here (if you don’t have amazon prime yet to get her book delivered this fast and for free, here are 26 other time and money saving reasons you should).
These 4 changes did more for my blog in one month than Huffington Post could in more than three years.
My traffic is still small. I have made very little income. And, it is all perfectly imperfect. But, I fall completely in love with the thought that I got to sit on the couch with 25,000 women in a single month and talk about all the stuff. I hope this month, one of them is you.
P.S. Gotta question, please email it to me!