We are stressed out. There is no doubt about it. Mothers these days are some of the most stressed people on the planet. Study after study shows us that at all stages we carry the most responsibility of the home, whether we are working outside of it or not.
I used to totally be there ALL THE TIME. Somedays, admittedly, I still am. But I have found these 5 steps will immediately help you conquer that stress. You will begin to breathe again, your yelling will stop, you will be more prepared in your parenting. All it takes is a few short minutes of intentional work.
5. PLAN. On Sundays, grab 15 minutes and sit down to plot out your week. Look at what is essential to get done, who needs to go where and when, what meals you want to prepare when, and what night’s you’re grabbing it to go. While life will not always go according to plan, having it sketched out allows you to GIVE OVER YOUR STRESS AND WORRY to a list. I guarantee you will feel lighter.
4. DELETE. Now that you’ve made your PLAN. Identify at least 1 thing EACH DAY that you can remove from your list. Take it off, give it to someone else or just decide to move it to a later date. DELETING is FREEING.
3. BUFFER. Before you engage with your kiddos, whether waking them or picking them up from school and activities, make sure to build in a little buffer time for yourself. Your buffer may look like 10 minutes sitting alone in the car or maybe waking 30 minutes before your kids do. Whatever it is, a BUFFER is a BLESSING. Grab one.
2. SAY NO. You’ll hear me saying this a lot, but drawing boundaries will bring you peace. Maybe it’s walking away from a relationship that’s not working, or maybe it’s simply saying no to request of your time. It is a practice that takes work, but saying no is essential to helping you truly show up for your tribe.
1. MOVE. Seriously, take a walk. Take a hike. Go to yoga. Do some pilates. Something! Anything! Moving your body in a new surrounding will reenergize your entire being and amplify the energy you give to mothering. It also teaches your little ones that carrying for our bodies is of utmost importance. Because it is.
Start practicing these steps and immediately feel a weight lifted, perspective granted and serenity now.
And, if you want some help creating a buffer, deleting and organizing your happiness, download my free Stress Free Mama Weekly Planner – my own personal method!
BONUS TIP! GRACE. My ultimate rule to empowering our journeys as mothers is the ability to give ourselves a little GRACE. We will make mistakes. We will fail. We will have bad days. It is still OK. We are still doing GREAT. We are perfectly imperfect. And knowing that simply means giving ourselves some GRACE.
P.S. You can empower yourself to be a stress free mama by working through this 14-day challenge that will guide you to create a life you love. I’ve done this challenge several times now and each time I step away reinvigorated. Working through it has allows me to approach my day with complete calm and intention. My favorite day of this challenge was, “Creating a to-do list that serves, not strangles.” Amen! (Check it out by clicking here.)